The main goal of SMACS Project is to optimize the use of the wood biomass, widely available in the Emilia Romagna region. The biomass is then used to increase the carbon stock of the agricultural and forest soils, with positive effects on the physical, chemical and biological properties of the soil and increase of the carbon stocks in soils.
- The following activities will be implemented in the project:
Collection of wood biomass from the riverbeds of private mountain streams and their pyrolysis to obtain syngas and biochar;
- Application of biochar to soil to improve soil structure and soil quality;
- Assessment of the environmental impacts associated with the plan following the life cycle assessment approach.
- Enhancement of the use of wood biomass removed from the riverbeds of private mountain streams trough an innovative solution;
- Obtaining energy from the syngas obtained by pyrolysis of woody biomass (renewable energy);
- Improving the quality, structure and carbon stock of soil through the application as soil amendment of biochar obtained from the pyrolysis of biomass;
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions associated with the proposed plan.
Keywords: soil management / functionality; water management; forestry; climate and climate change.